The Canadian Charter of Rights for People with Dementia – How it Came to be and the Seven Explicit Rights to Empower Those Living with Dementia to Self-advocate in Canada
Natasha Jacobs is the Advisory Group Lead at Alzheimer Society of Canada she coordinates a group of over 40 people with lived experience of Dementia, whether they are living with a form or supporting those with a form of Dementia.
By sharing their stories the members of the Advisory Group impact the direction and long term strategy as well as the research emerging from the Alzheimer Society.
Natasha lives in Cobourg, Ontario with her husband Jermaine, and their two children Jordyn and Isaiah.
MAiD IN Geriatric Psychiatry
Lilian Thorpe MD, PhD, FRCP
• Geriatric psychiatrist in the Saskatchewan Health Authority
• Professor, Departments of Community Health & Epidemiology and Psychiatry
• Member of the (former) Saskatoon Health Region committee which developed the MAID policy, and involved with approximately 700 assessments and/or clinical MAID provisions throughout the province since 2016.
• Invited witness to the Canadian Parliamentary Special Joint Committee on Medical Assistance in Dying in view of its Statutory Review of the Provisions of the Criminal Code Relating to Medical Assistance in Dying and their Application (presentation on advanced consent for MAID), May 9, 2022
• Member, CAMAP working group in developing curriculum for assessing capacity in patients with comorbid mental illness applying for medical assistance in dying. June 2021-
• Member, Saskatchewan Health Authority/Saskatchewan Cancer Agency joint ethics committee, May 2, 2020 –
• Provider of MAID related teaching sessions at multiple U of S, Health Authority and conference settings.
• Active involvement in MAID related research, undergraduate teaching, residency teaching, and graduate supervision.
• Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, specialty committee in geriatric psychiatry, March 2011- June 2016
• Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada working group in geriatric psychiatry, November 2009 to March 2011
• Founding and Board member until January 2009, Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry
• Canadian Psychiatric Association (Chair on Geriatric Psychiatry until September 2008)