AWARD FOR REGIONAL CONTRIBUTION IN GERIATRIC PSYCHIATRY
Each year the CAGP seeks nominations for the Annual Award for Regional Contribution in Geriatric Psychiatry. This award recognizes a geriatric psychiatrist who has made a significant contribution to geriatric psychiatry through education, clinical service or innovations in service delivery at the local level. This award is intended to honour individual geriatric psychiatrists who have had a considerable impact on the practice of geriatric psychiatry in their communities but have not received national or international recognition for their contributions.
The award and a cheque for $1,000 will be presented at the CAGP Annual General Meeting and the Canadian Psychiatric Association (CPA) Awards Presentation Dinner. Applications are peer-reviewed by a selection committee, with the process favoring those who would not be considered for the Outstanding Contributions Award.
This award can only be received once.
The nominee must meet some or all of the qualities outlined below:
- Leadership: the nominee has demonstrated leadership, both within his/her own organization and at a regional, local and/or provincial level.
- the nominee has a proven ability in innovative problem-solving and decision-making at the regional, local, and/or provincial level.
- The nominee exhibits high ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of their work.
- The nominee has demonstrated a commitment to patient/older adult advocacy in the local public policy field.
- Professionalism: the nominee has demonstrated dedication to the qualities of professionalism, including:
- Participation in educational and scholastic activities designed to inspire medical and other trainees to consider a career in geriatric mental health and to add to the body of knowledge in the field of geriatric mental health care.
- Provided support to professional organizations dedicated to improving the lives of older adults affected with mental illness.
- Motivated and supported through role-modeling/mentoring in their pursuit of excellence within research, education or clinical care in the area of geriatric psychiatry.
- Capacity for care and compassion to clients, colleagues and students alike in their role as Medical Expert.
The nomination must include:
- A written statement by the nominator concerning the merit of the individual’s contribution with regards to the above-mentioned qualities in sufficient detail to allow assessment by the Awards Committee.
- The applicant’s curriculum vitae.
Deadline for Nomination: May 30, 2013
Send submissions to:
Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry
255-55 St. Clair Avenue West
Toronto, ON M4V 2Y7
Previous Award Winners are:
- Dr. Vassavan Nair (2011)
- Dr. Kenneth Le Clair - Kingston, Ontario (2009)
- Dr. John deVries - Calgary, Alberta (2006)